Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

For the latest cost of living support

Find out more

Council tax energy rebate FAQs

 What is the energy rebate?

A £150 payment for occupied households in council tax bands A-D is part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs. It is being paid through the council tax system, but it is a payment, not a reduction on your council tax bill.

How can I check if I am eligible for the rebate?

Council tax bands can be checked here: Dashboard (

Who is eligible for the energy rebate?

Households are eligible if, on April 1, 2022, they are liable for council tax on a property which is in council tax bands A-D and in which they live as their main home.

This includes those who receive Local Council Tax Support, even if their council tax bill for the year is less than £150.

If you live in a A-D home and are exempt from council tax, you are eligible if the property falls in one of the following classes of exemption: Class N (students – other than HMOs for council tax purposes), Class S (under 18s), Class U (people with a severe mental impairment), Class W (annexes occupied by a dependent relative).

Will I get the rebate even if I get a council tax discount, or don’t pay council tax?

Yes, you will still get the rebate, even if you receive a council tax discount or don't pay council tax - as long as your home is in bands A-D.

I pay by direct debit - How can I apply for the energy rebate?

If you live in an eligible property and you pay your council tax by direct debit, we will make the payment directly to your bank account. If you haven't received it, you need to check that the name on your bank account matches the name on your council tax bill exactly. If you pay by direct debit and have not received the payment, this could be why - if that's the case, email us at to rectify this.

I currently pay by standing order, cheque, online or at a PayPoint - How can I apply for the energy rebate?

If you live in an eligible property and don't pay your council tax by direct debit, you will get a letter directing you to the payment portal on our main page. You need the letter to access the portal, and you need to input your details exactly as they appear on your letter.

What support can I access if I am not eligible for the energy rebate?

We have a discretionary fund for people who do not qualify for the main scheme. You can find the details on our main council tax page.

I don’t want to give you my bank details – How can I claim my rebate?

If you don’t want to give us your bank details, your £150 energy rebate can be credited to your council tax account. Details of how to arrange this will be in the letter. This option is only available to those who don't pay their council tax by Direct Debit. 

Will I receive the energy rebate as a discount on my council tax bill?

The rebate will be a separate payment, not a reduction of your council tax bill. We are just using the council tax system to identify which bands people live in, and make the payments.

This means households that do not pay council tax - for example, if they are exempt or have nil liability - are not disadvantaged.

Do I still need to pay my Council Tax in the meantime?

Yes, you must still pay your council tax in the meantime. The payment is not connected to your council tax bill, and it will not reduce the amount of council tax we expect you to pay (unless, as a non-DD payer, you opt to credit it to your council tax account later). 

Do I have to pay the £150 back?

No. The £150 council tax rebate does not have to be paid back.

What if I don’t want the £150 energy rebate?

The rebate is being paid automatically and we can't process a return of the payment. You could donate the money to a charity if you don't want to keep it.

Who will receive the energy rebate where an eligible property has multiple residents?

One £150 payment is being made per eligible household (a person or group of people living in a property that attracts a separate council tax bill). This is paid to the person in the household who pays the council tax bill.

Someone else usually pays my council tax on my behalf - will they receive the energy rebate?

The rebate is available to people who live in an eligible property for which they are liable for council tax. In most cases, the occupants of a property are liable for council tax, even if the bill is usually paid by someone else.

If you are eligible for the rebate and someone else usually pays your council tax by direct debit, we will write to you detailing how to claim your £150.

I live in a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) and my landlord is liable for council tax. Will I still be eligible for the energy rebate?

No, the payment is only made to the person liable for council tax. It would not therefore be paid to residents of an HMO where the landlord is liable for the council tax bill.

I need to ask a question - how do I get in touch?

If you have a question about the energy rebate, please email us at