Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

For the latest cost of living support

Find out more

Council Tax

Your council tax bill explained

Council tax pays for the delivery of local services. We collect it on behalf of Cumberland Council (from April 1, 2023), Town and Parish Councils, Cumbria Commissioner Fire and Rescue Authority, and the Police and Crime Commissioner.

Find out where your 2023/24 Cumberland council tax contributions go and more information on Cumberland Council tax levels by local area and band. View the Cumberland Council 2023/24 budget.

Manage your account online

You can access your Council Tax details online and view correspondence that has been sent to you. You can also report a change of address, search for a council tax band and arrange direct debit.

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government departments in one go.


You can reduce the amount of paper we use by opting to receive your bills by email. Once you have received your first paper bill, email with your council tax account number, tell us you want to go paperless and we will do the rest.  

Paying your council tax

Visit our ways to pay webpage to find out how you can pay your council tax.

Council Tax discounts

We offer a range of council tax discounts to Copeland residents. Find out if you’re eligible.

Problems paying your council tax

View our problems paying your council tax page


You may appeal if you think you are not liable to pay council tax - for example, if you are not the resident owner, or because the property is exempt. You may also appeal if you believe we made a mistake when working out the amount you should pay. This relates to discounts and reductions under the disability reduction scheme and council tax support scheme.

If you want to appeal on these grounds, you must first contact and state the reasons for your appeal.

We have a duty to respond to you within two months. We will inform you of the steps we have taken to deal with your appeal. If you are not satisfied, you may appeal to the Council tax - Valuation Tribunal Service within two months of our decision. If we fail to respond to your original appeal, you may appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal within four months of your original appeal to the council.

Appeals regarding your council tax band

If you believe your council tax band is incorrect, you must first appeal to the Listing Officer of the Valuation Office Agency Challenge your Council Tax band - GOV.UK ( The Listing Officer of the Valuation Office Agency will look at your case and respond within four months. If you disagree with the Listing Officer's decision you can, within three months of the Listing Officer's decision, make an appeal directly to the Council tax - Valuation Tribunal Service.

If the Listing Officer believes a proposal is invalid because it does not meet the statutory requirements, they may serve an ‘invalidity notice’. You may, within four weeks of receiving the notice, appeal directly to the Council tax - Valuation Tribunal Service stating the reasons for disputing the notice.

Completion notice appeals

A completion notice provides you with the date we think any work on your property is finished or will be substantially finished. From that date, your property will be liable for council tax. If you disagree with the date, you can appeal to the Council tax - Valuation Tribunal Service.

Further Contact Details for the Valuation Tribunal:



Telephone: 0303 445 8100.

The Council tax - Valuation Tribunal Service is completely independent of the council and the Valuation Office Agency and your appeal will be decided by the Tribunal at a hearing.

Your data

The Revenues and Benefits Privacy Notice tells you what to expect when Cumberland Council collects personal information about you and members of your household. See more information on Cumberland Council data protection and privacy