Street naming and numbering
Copeland Borough Council is responsible for street naming and numbering within the borough and provides this function under the provisions of Section 64 of the Town Improvements Clauses Act with the extension of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907.
Why is street naming and numbering important?
The addressing of new properties is becoming increasingly important within the borough, particularly with the rise in new housing developments. It is imperative that the emergency services and Royal Mail are able to locate properties quickly and efficiently. Therefore the overall objective when undertaking street naming and numbering is to allocate unique and logical addresses whilst complying with the recommendations and guidelines provided in the guidance from the Information House.
Properties in the borough are found in both urban and rural locations. Postal numbering exists in the urban areas, whereas any rural areas consisting of small settlements may not have postal numbering schemes and properties may be identified by property name only.
Who should apply?
- Individuals or developers creating new streets, building new houses, commercial or industrial units
- Individuals or developers undertaking conversions of residential, commercial properties, holiday cottages or industrial premises which will give rise to a new address
- People wishing to re-name a property
When to apply?
For any new build or conversion of a property you should apply to the Council for address allocation once you have received planning approval. We will then contact the Royal Mail who will allocate the postcode to the approved address. Utility companies are reluctant to install services without an official address and postcode.
How to apply?
- To apply you can complete the attached form Street Naming and Numbering Application Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to FAO Planning Policy, The Copeland Centre, Catherine Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7SJ
- Alternatively you can collect an application form from the Copeland Centre or you can request us to post one to you by calling 01946 598436
For full information of what is acceptable for street naming and numbering applications please see the Guidance for Street Naming and Numbering
For further information:
- Contact: Street Naming and Numbering FAO Planning Policy
- Address: The Copeland Centre, Catherine Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7SJ
- Telephone: 01946 598436
- Email: email@example.com