Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

For all the latest Coronavirus information including support for Copeland residents and businesses

Click here

Immigration inspections

People moving to live in the Copeland area from a country outside the European Union have to confirm that they are moving into accommodation that is of suitable standard, and the accommodation will not be made overcrowded by their arrival. 

If a person is coming from abroad to live in the area, they will usually have a named individual who is acting as their sponsor. The Immigration Authority will ask this sponsor for proof that the property being moved into is suitable. To gain this proof you will need to have an inspection of the property to be used. The inspection needs to be carried out by a suitably qualified and experienced competent person. The survey is designed to ensure that the accommodation meets the following criteria:

  • The minimum housing standard under the Housing Act 2004
  • Is in a reasonable state of repair; and
  • Has sufficient space to accommodate both the existing occupiers and any additional people who propose to live there.

 Our Housing team can carry out these inspections. If you would like to make an appointment to have a property inspected or would like advice and assistance, please contact us

When we carry out an inspection, we will ask to see some documentation from the Immigration Authorities to show that an application is being processed. This might be a letter or form from the relevant High Commission showing the applicants name. 

If you own the property, then we will need to see the title deeds, mortgage statement, or correspondence from your mortgage provider. If you rent the property, then we will need to see a current tenancy agreement, and a utility bill in your name at the address in question. 

If you rent a property and there is a gas supply then we will also need to see a copy of an up to date Gas Safe Certificate in respect of the accommodation. 

For more information on immigration and sponsoring a visitor, please see the UK Border Agency - Sponsoring a Visitor website, or contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau:

Telephone: 0870 606 7766
UK Border Agency
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road

Click here to complete an application form.