Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

For all the latest Coronavirus information including support for Copeland residents and businesses

Click here

How to complain about poor housing conditions

If you live in a privately rented property and the landlord is not carrying out essential repairs, let us know. We will help you to deal with the problem.

When you contact us, you will need to tell us:

  • your landlord's name and contact details
  • what repairs are needed
  • when you reported the repairs to your landlord

We will arrange to visit the property with the landlord and carry out an inspection.

We will then work with the landlord to make sure any essential repairs are carried out. If the landlord does not comply we may take legal action.

We have a range of options to deal with unfit properties in the private rented sector. Most problems can be sorted out without us having to take action but we are serious about using our enforcement powers when there is no alternative.

Our Enforcement Policy can be downloaded here.

For more information, contact us.