Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

For the latest cost of living support

Find out more

Health and safety

If you run a business it is vital you comply with health and safety legislation and that you understand your responsibilities. Here we answer some frequently asked questions about health and safety procedure.

How can I get information on how to comply with health and safety legislation? 

For information on how to comply with health and safety legislation, contact us.

The Health and Safety Executive also provides comprehensive information.

What type of accidents do I need to report and how can I report them? 

You need to report accidents that result in someone being killed or seriously injured, or where an employee has been hurt and is unable to do their job for seven consecutive days.

Accidents can be reported online on the Health and Safety Executive's website.

Do I need to display a health and safety law poster?

It is a legal requirement for employers to either display an approved health and safety law poster or to provide employees with the equivalent leaflet. 

The poster is plastic laminated and very durable. If you have a number of employees it is recommended that the poster is purchased. If staff leave or your business expands, you will not have to worry about giving out the leaflet each time. You can get a poster from HSE books, Sudbury, Suffolk. Telephone: 01787 881165.

What is a risk assessment?

A risk assessment is a careful examination of what in your workplace could cause harm to people so that you can determine whether you have taken enough precautions or if you need to do more to prevent harm. The aim is to ensure that no one gets hurt or becomes ill due to conditions in the workplace and or from the work they are required to do. If you would like to find out more about how to conduct a risk assessment, contact us.