Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

We are currently preparing bids to the Future High Streets Fund (Whitehaven) and Towns Fund (Millom and Cleator Moor)

Find out more

FAQ A to Z listing


Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

(1) | A (1) | C (7) | D (18) | H (29) | I (6) | M (2) | S (1) | W (30)
FAQ Answer
Can I put vegetable peelings in the brown bin?

No. You should not put any form of food, whether raw or uncooked into the brown recycling bin. However, you can compost these items. To find out how to get a compost bin, please click here.

At what time does the council office open?


The Market Hall, Market Place, Whitehaven, CA28 7JG

- Monday: 9am 5pm
- Tuesday: 9am 5pm
- Wednesday: 10am 5pm
- Thursday: 9am 5pm
- Friday: 9am 4.30pm
- Saturday: CLOSED
- Sunday: CLOSED

View map

The Copeland Centre, Catherine Street, Whitehaven, CA28 7SJ

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, 8:45 – 5:15pm
  • Wednesday, 10am – 5:15pm
  • Friday, 8:45 - 4.30pm

Please note: The reception has moved to The Market Hall. For anyone visiting the Copeland Centre for a meeting, please access the side reception and select the relevant officer from the telephone system. 
View map

The Millom Office, St George’s Road, Millom, LA18 4DD

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am – 4pm
  • Wednesday, 9am – 12pm

View map

Cleator Moor Local Links based at Cleator Moor Library

  • Monday, Tuesday, 9am– 5pm
Can I become a taxi driver?

To qualify you must:

  • Have held a full driving licence for 12 months prior to the date of application;
  • Complete a hackney carriage drivers licence application form;
  • Complete a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) application form (if applicable). This is required every 3 years and in the intervening years a self-certification form must be completed declaring that no further convictions have been obtained since the last CRB check;
  • Provide a medical certificate (required every 3 years unless otherwise stated) from his/her doctor, certifying that the applicant is fit to drive a private hire vehicle;
  • Provide a full current driving licence (both photo card and counterpart);
  • Provide 2 x passport size photographs of the applicant;
  • Provide a valid Passport (if applicable);
  • Provide your Birth Certificate ;
  • Provide your Marriage Certificate (if applicable);
  • Provide your National Insurance Number.
Can I donate something to the Beacon's collection?

The museum collection includes over 30,000 artefacts which relate to Copeland’s history. Offers for donations are welcome and we are happy to discuss your item during opening times, or out of hours by appointment.

Please contact

The Beacon
West Strand,
CA28 7LY

Tel: 01946 592302


Can I get a Building Regs form online?

Yes, please select the following link: Building Regulation Application Form. If you cannot find the form you are looking for, please contact us.