Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

For all the latest Coronavirus information including support for Copeland residents and businesses

Click here

Do I require Building Regulations consent?

Building Regulations consent is a different requirement from planning permission, and must be applied for separately.

The majority of building work requires Building Regulations consent. To determine whether the work you plan to carry out is subject to the Building Regulations:

We will then determine whether you need to submit an application and send you written confirmation.

For certain specialist work an installer/contractor registered with a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with the Building Regulations and will undertake all building control issues for you. In this situation you do NOT need to submit a Building Regulations application.
The installer/contractor registered with a CPS notifies the local authority on your behalf and will issue you a certificate upon completion of the work. This will provide evidence of compliance and will show up on a solicitor’s local authority search if you decide to sell your home.
For a full list of the current competent person self-certification schemes click here.