Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

For all the latest Coronavirus information including support for Copeland residents and businesses

Click here

Clubs and premises licences

Everyone who sells alcohol, puts on entertainment or serves hot food after 11pm must hold a premises licence/club premises certificate to be able to trade under the Licensing Act 2003.

There are four types of licence:

  1. Club premises certificate
  2. Personal licence
  3. Premises licence
  4. Temporary event notice

Club premises certificate

Any private members' club which supplies alcohol or provides regulated entertainment and late night refreshment must apply to the council for a club premises certificate. No designated premises supervisor is required where a club premises certificate is in force.

Personal licence

All sales of alcohol in any premises, including pubs, off-licences, restaurants and hotels must be made by, or under the authority of a personal licence holder. You must apply for your personal licence to the council in whose district you live.

This will then be our responsibility for continuing to licence you, even if you move away from the area.

Premises licence

Any premises which sells alcohol or provides regulated entertainment and late night refreshment must apply to the council for a premises licence. Where premises sell alcohol, this must be authorised by a designated premises supervisor who must hold a personal licence.

Temporary event notice

A temporary event notice can be used in respect of licensed and unlicensed premises and is used to licence small scale one-off events involving no more than 499 people at any one time. Before completing the notice, please read the guidance notes at the end of the notice. When completing the notice please write legibly in block capitals. In all cases ensure that your answers are inside the boxes and written or typed in black ink.

You should keep a copy of the completed notice for your records. You must send two copies of this notice to the licensing authority together with the fee of £21. The notice must be served on the licensing authority at least 10 working days (not including the day of event) before the event. A copy must be sent to the Chief Officer of Police for the area in which the premises are situated and also to our Environmental Health department.

We will endorse one of the two copies and return it to you as an acknowledgement of receipt.

Please return the completed form to: or Licensing, Copeland Borough Council, Whitehaven Commercial Park, Moresby Parks, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 8YD

Information on the Licensing Act 2003 is also available on the Department for Culture, Media and Sport website.

Click here for further Government guidance on premises licences.