Copeland Local Plan (Local Development Framework)
Development Planning is a vital tool in helping the Council and the community respond to the challenges that lie ahead for the Copeland borough. It can help us to prepare the land, the places, the infrastructure and the services that will be needed, and it can set out the basis for making choices about new development.
This page sets out the statutory planning documents which make up the Copeland Local Plan (previously known as the Local Development Framework).
Copeland Local Plan 2013-2028
The Core Strategy and Development Management Policies DPD (adopted 5 December 2013) forms the main part of the Development Plan for the borough. The Council will also continue to have regard to the remaining ‘saved’ policies from the Copeland Local Plan 2001-2016 (adopted 2006) relating to specific areas of land (which will be reviewed in the Site Allocations and Policies Plan).
The Copeland Local Plan is currently made up of the following statutory planning documents which are used as the basis for determining planning applications:
The documents above can also be viewed at Copeland Borough Council Offices, The Copeland Centre, Catherine Street, Whitehaven and libraries across the Copeland borough.
(Further details about the production process prior to adoption of the Copeland Local Plan 2013-2028 Core Strategy and Development Management Policies DPD can be found on the Core Strategy and Development Management Policies DPD Archive webpage).
On the 9th May 2017, Copeland Borough Council announced that it cannot demonstrate a five-year supply of housing sites. The Council accepts therefore that “policies for the supply of housing” set out within the Copeland Local Plan 2013 – 2028 (Core Strategy and Development Management Policies) will no longer be deemed up-to-date; and these policies carry less than full weight in decision-making.
The 5 Year land Supply position as of 1st April 2016 can be located below;
- Housing Land Supply Position - If you require this in a different format then please contact the Planning Policy Team.
To support and encourage sustainable development in the short term the Council adopted an interim housing policy.
Other Key Planning Documents
The following key planning documents support the Copeland Local Plan:
- Supplementary Planning Documents - cover a range of issues and provide further explanation or detail as to how a policy in the Development Plan should be implemented and are a material consideration in making decisions on planning applications and will therefore carry significant weight in decision-making.
- Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) – sets out the processes to be used by the Council in engaging the community in plan preparation and the consideration of planning applications.
- Local Development Scheme (LDS) - sets out the programme for preparing and updating the Local Plan.
- Annual Monitoring Report (AMR) - assesses the implementation of the Local Development Scheme and the extent to which policies in the Local Plan are being successfully implemented.
- Evidence Base – contains research and evidence used to develop and support our planning policies.
Emerging Planning Policy
The Council has produced a summary report of the consultation responses received as part of the Site Allocations and Policies Plan Preferred Options ten week consultation period held between Monday 12th January 2015 and Friday 20th March 2015. The Draft Preferred Options consultation documents can be viewed on the Site Allocations and Policies Plan webpage.
The report provides and overview of those written responses received relating to the following areas:
- The proposed site allocation policies, which addresses a total of 47 questions;
- The sites which the Council has proposed for allocation;
- The 59 new site submissions made by respondents;
- Written responses to the accompanying Sustainability Appraisal document.
The Council received 1,107 responses from 207 respondents including 59 new site submission forms, 411 site comment forms and 18 questionnaires.
The Summary of Consultation Responses Report and separate appendices can be viewed on the Site Allocations and Policies Plan webpage.
For further information contact the Planning Policy Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Housing Land Supply Position at 1st April 2016