Material featured on this site is subject to Crown copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The Crown copyright protected material (other than the Copeland Coat of Arms and departmental or agency logos) may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context or for a political purpose. Where any of the Crown copyright items on this site are being republished or copied to others, the source of the material must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged. The permission to reproduce Crown protected material does not extend to any material on this site that is identified as being the copyright of a third party. Authorisation to reproduce such material must be obtained from the copyright holders concerned.
© Crown copyright 2010
Ordnance Survey mapping
This website uses Ordnance Survey mapping, which is provided by Copeland Borough Council under licence from the Ordnance Survey, in order to fulfil its public function to make available council held public domain information. If you wish to licence Ordnance Survey mapping or map data for your own use you should contact Ordnance Survey.
The maps are reproduced from the Ordnance Survey mapping with the permission of Ordnance Survey on behalf of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office © Crown copyright. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown copyright and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings. 100023108 (2006).
This website uses information from the Local Land and Property Gazetteer to help you find addresses. The gazetteer is maintained by Copeland Borough Council who, together with the Local Government Information House, own the copyright.
You may take a single screen print of the results of an address search for your own use but you must not change the address information or combine it with other information. You may not re-use address information from the Local Land and Property Gazetteer for any commercial or business purpose nor may you supply it to a third party who may attempt to use it in contravention of these terms and conditions.
Organised activities database
Although we do everything in our power to ensure the information in this directory is up to date, we cannot take responsibility for inaccurate information, or for any loss, damage or injury caused as a result of this information being provided to you.
The majority of the events listed are not organised by the council and you can not hold us responsible for the accuracy of listings or of any information contained within them, or any thing that might happen to you as a result of acting on the information.
Please make sure you check the accuracy of the information with the provider before travelling.
If you have concerns about any organisation that appears on the site, please contact us.
Photographic images are occasionally used for journalistic or artistic purposes. Whenever possible Copeland Borough Council obtains (either directly or via third parties) the express permission for images of people to be used on the site. However, this is not always possible for group photographs. Should a member of the public object to their image being contained in any such photograph they should contact us and the photograph will be removed.
Using our logo
The Copeland Borough Council logo is subject to copyright law and you must seek our permission before using it in any links to this site.
We are not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites. Listing should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and we have no control over the availability of linked pages.
Virus protection awareness
It is always wise for you to run an anti-virus program on all material downloaded from the internet. We cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or your computer system which may occur whilst using material derived from this website.
Privacy on this website
This section contains details about how we deal with information from users of this website. This includes information obtained from forms, email and website log files, how it is used, and under what circumstances we will share it.
The way we deal with privacy applies only to the Copeland Borough Council websites at copeland.gov.uk and its subdomains; this does not apply to any other site, including:
- Other websites operated by or with our partner organisations
- Any site that is linked from one of our pages
Information collected by this website
Information that this website routinely collects falls into two categories, forms and website log files.
The website provides forms that allow you to:
- Give general feedback about the site
- Make complaints, comments or compliments about council services
- Access council services
- Make payments to us and invoice us
The information collected will be stored and used by us mainly so we can deliver a service, deal with the enquiry or process a payment.
We will not share any personal information that we receive about individuals with other organisations for commercial purposes, or use it for any marketing purposes that we have not told you about either on the form or on this page.
We may use non-personal information for business, research and marketing purposes. In these cases reusing the information will not identify the individual who provided it and will not contain any contact information relating to them or their company.
For example, possible reuses of non-personal information may include (but are not limited to):
- A report made publicly available on the site listing all the complaints and queries made in a given period
- An internal report produced for our own staff listing any technical problems that have arisen with the website and steps taken to remedy them
- Marketing literature using quotes drawn from feedback given about the council
In some cases, the information you provide on a form is optional but omitting important information may make it difficult to deal with an enquiry. You can send complaints, compliments and comments without having to provide your name or email address. However, contact details may be given if you would like to receive a reply. Other forms only make sense if certain information is included; for example, a missed bin collection report is only useful if a contact name and address are provided. On electronic forms the required fields are clearly marked.
Information we collect from forms is not stored on the website, but is instead sent to computer systems accessible only by authorised staff. With the exception of our online payments system, forms are not intended for the transmission of confidential or security-related material and you should not use them for this.
Website log files
All websites produce log files that record the activity on that site. Log files record which pages on the site have been accessed and how many times. From this information it is possible to produce statistics such as how busy the website is, which pages are the most popular and whether there are any broken links. Log files typically record the IP address or hostname of all users accessing the website. This allows us to distinguish between different users and therefore estimate the number of unique visitors to the website. IP addresses and hostnames are not linked to your personally identifiable information.
We will not make specific IP addresses and hostnames publicly available. They will only be used by website log file software to compile overall summary statistical reports on the performance of the website. (For more information about IP addresses and hostnames, see 'Additional information' below.)
Website log files are stored securely on the website using industry best practice methods for safeguarding information and server functions.
This section provides background information regarding terminology and legislation referenced in the writing of this privacy information.
Web browser: A web browser or browser for short is the software application used to find and display web pages. The two most popular ones are Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Cookies: Depending on your browser's security settings, websites may be allowed to create and store small files called 'cookies' in a specific directory on your computer to help with the functionality of the site. Cookies cannot harm your computer in any way. Only the website that created the cookie can subsequently reuse it.
There are two types of cookies:
- A persistent cookie remains on your computer for a period of time to allow a website to recognise you when you return and present you with the appropriate customised pages and count you as one unique visitor.
- Session-specific cookies are deleted when you shut down your browser.
IP addresses and hostnames
An IP address is the numeric address of a computer. The IP address recorded on website log files is the address provided by your internet service provider's equipment and not your own personal computer's address.
Hostnames are similar in appearance to the domain names you see in website addresses or URL s and email addresses. The hostnames recorded on website log files are those of the internet service provider's equipment that you are using to access the internet, and not your own computer's name or location. Your internet service provider will keep records of which customer is using any IP address or hostname at any given time, and so it is theoretically possible to trace back activity shown on any website log file to a specific individual. In practice, this can only be done with the explicit involvement of the internet service provider, and such a trace would therefore only take place in the event of serious criminal misuse of the internet and would be carried out by the police.
We will not attempt to associate IP addresses and hostnames with individuals. In the event of serious criminal misuse of the website, the matter would be referred to the police for investigation.
The Data Protection Act 1998
The Data Protection Act requires us to protect any information we collect from you. We do this by ensuring:
- Information collected from feedback forms is not stored on the website, but is instead sent to computer systems only accessible only by authorised staff
- Website log files are stored securely on the website using industry best practice methods for safeguarding information and server functions.
- This website and material relating to government information, products and services (or to third party information, products and services), is provided 'as is', without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
- We use reasonable effort to include and update information on this website, we do not however, make any representation as to its accuracy or completeness. The Council is not liable for any loss or damages arising from use of this site or from reliance placed on any material published on it.
- We do not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the service that makes it available are free of viruses or represent the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the materials. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of, data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of this website.
- Service of documents by email in legal proceedings is not accepted.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any dispute arising under these terms and conditions shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.