The following evidence documents have been produced to support the policies and proposals within the Copeland Local Plan 2021-2038.
- Sustainability Appraisal Integrated Assessment Report - Incorporating Sustainability Appraisal and Health Impact Assessment.
- Equalities Impact Assessment - An Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) screening has been undertaken of the Copeland Local Plan consider the potential impacts of the Local Plan on the 9 protected characteristics identified in The Public Sector Equality Duty (2011). The protected characteristics are age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy & maternity, race, religion and belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership (only in the respect of the requirement of the general duty to have due regard to the need. to eliminate discrimination). The Council has also chosen to recognise rurality and socio-economic status as a protected characteristic.
- The Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) - This document comprises a Screening Report and Appropriate Assessment and considers the impacts of Local Plan allocations and policies on the National Site Network (formerly Natura 2000 sites) and Ramsar sites. This also includes a Marine Conservation Zone Assessment.
- Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment 2022
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) 2021 - This document updates the 2019 Strategic Housing Market Assessment and identifies current need for housing in the Borough across the 2021-2038 plan period.
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) 2019 - Provides an assessment of future needs for both market and affordable housing, and the housing needs for different groups within Copeland’s population over the plan period.
- Housing Needs Assessment Report 2020 - The document summarises the findings of the housing need survey 2019 and identifies housing needs in different parts of the Borough.
- Discounted Sites Document 2022 - This report explains reasons for discounting deliverable and developable sites as residential allocations.
- Cumbria Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA) - This document identifies the need for gypsy and traveller pitches across Cumbria. It also considers the needs of travelling showpeople.
- 5 Year Housing Land Supply - This document identifies deliverable sites to meet the five year housing land requirement from 1st April 2021.
Economic Development and Viability
- Economic Development Needs assessment 2021 - The EDNA provides and understanding of current and potential future requirements for employment land in the Borough.
- Indoor Facilities Study 2020 - (part of the Sports Strategy due in 2021): This Study assesses the need for built sports facilities in Copeland in order to guide future provision of indoor facilities to serve existing and future communities.
- West Cumbria Retail, Town Centres and Leisure Study 2020 - Provides an assessment of retail and leisure provision in the borough and the development needs to help support economic growth in town centres.
- Retail and Leisure Study update 2021 - Provides an update to the 2020 West Cumbria study
- Stage One Viability Study - A high level assessment of the viability of a representative range of housing, commercial and employment development across the Borough.
- Stage Two Viability Study - A more in depth analysis on their deliverability, including testing the implication of Local Plan Policies to enure that the Local Plan as a whole is deliverable.
- Employment Land Availability Study - This document identifies and assesses the suitability and availability of sites in Copeland as potential employment sites.
- Infrastructure Delivery Plan 2020 - Currently at stage 1, which identifies the known shortfalls and constraints surrounding infrastructure in the Borough.
- Infrastructure Delivery Plan 2022 - This will include details of what infrastructure requirements are necessary to support the Local Plan, as well as providing an Infrastructure Delivery Schedule.
- Transport Improvement Study 2021 - Identifies the transport improvements required to deliver the Local Plan allocations
- Transport Improvement Study Report Appendices -
- Copeland Transport Improvements Study Scheme pro-formas -
- Site Access assessment 2021 - Identifies the ability for Local plan allocations to provide a suitable access
Built and Natural Environment
- Copeland Open Space Assessment 2020 - Outlines the provision, details and condition of Open Spaces in Copeland and makes recommendations for where open space should be protected within the Local Plan.
- Copeland Local Green Spaces 2020 - Outlines land allocated as Local Greenspaces as a result of recommendation within the open Space Assessment.
- Copeland Playing Pitch Strategy – Needs Assessment 2020 - This document contains data relating to pitch provision and demand in Copeland as November 2020. Due to Covid 19 regulations in place at the time of the assessment it relates only to winter sports: football, rugby union and hockey. A statement regarding the status of the document can be found on page 3.
- Copeland Playing Pitch Strategy and Action Plan 2021 - This document, produced in March 2021, is informed by the PPS Needs Assessment and sets out a strategy for the prioritisation, provision and development of sports pitches in Copeland. Due to Covid 19 regulations in place at the time of the assessment it relates only to winter sports: football, rugby union and hockey. A statement regarding the status of the document can be found on page 3.
- Copeland Landscape Character Assessment 2021 - This document reviews and updates the Cumbria Landscape Character Assessment in terms of Copeland and assesses the sensitivity of our landscapes.
- Copeland Settlement Landscape Character Assessment 2022 Part 1
- Copeland Settlement Landscape Character Assessment 2022 Part 2
- Copeland Settlement Landscape Character Assessment 2022 Part 3
- Copeland Wind Energy Technical Document 2022
- Copeland Open Spaces Assessment Addendum 2022
- Copeland Local Greenspace Assessment 2022
- Strategic Flood Risk Assessment - The SFRA collates information on all known sources of flooding that may affect existing or future development in Copeland, including tidal, river, surface water flooding.
- Heritage Impact Assessment
- Village Services Surveys - The Village Services Survey assesses the level of service prevision in all the settlements outside the 4 Main Towns in Copeland.
- Settlement Hierarchy & Development Strategy Paper Update - This document identifies the methodolgy used when producing the Settlement Hierarchy.