Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

We are currently preparing bids to the Future High Streets Fund (Whitehaven) and Towns Fund (Millom and Cleator Moor)

Find out more

Flooding contacts

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Even if you live a long way from a river or the sea, floods can happen anywhere from a variety of sources which include surface water, blocked sewers and groundwater as well as rivers and the sea. Generally, it is up to the landowner to maintain any flood defences and to take reasonable steps not to increase the flood risk to anyone else.

A variety of authorities will investigate flooding depending on where it occurs and will have plans to decrease the risk of flooding.

Copeland Borough Council

We maintain a number of smaller watercourses where they run across our land. These are generally becks that are too small to have a name (the Environment Agency takes care of larger watercourses which are termed main rivers, see below). If you have any concerns about blocked trash screens, flooding from smaller watercourses or from private sewers then please contact Copeland on 01946 598300 or email

Cumbria County Council

Cumbria County Council is the Lead Local Flood Authority and co-ordinates flood risk management in the county. They keep adopted roads free from flooding and make provision for the runoff of surface water. You can contact the highways hotline on 0300 303 2992 to report flooding on adopted roads (except the A595 between Calderbridge and Distington).

Highways England

Highways England keeps the main A595 free from flooding. Contact Highways England to report a flood on the A595 trunk road between Calderbridge and Distington.

The Environment Agency

The Environment Agency deals with flooding from main rivers. and some tidal flooding. Main rivers include large rivers such as the Ehen, Esk and Duddon, large becks like Pow Beck, Skirting Beck and Haverigg Pool down to smaller becks such as Midgey Gill and Lingla Beck. They also provide information and advice and flood warnings on their 24 hour Floodline,  0345 988 1188.

United Utilities

United Utilities  are the first point of contact about sewer problems. You will need to look after your own drains but once they connect with drains from another property they will be looked after by United Utilities. They maintain sewer pipes that are shared by more than one property or that run beyond your property boundary (apart from in a few cases where these sewers are privately owned).

See also

Flood protection - to see how to protect your property and health from the effects of flooding.

Coastal Erosion - to see how the risk of coastal flooding and erosion is managed in Copeland.

Preparing for an emergency - link to Cumbria County Council's website