COPELAND residents are being invited to have their say on significant changes to the Local Plan that are being considered.
The Council is in the process of developing a new Local Plan, which will guide development and investment in the borough until 2035.
Local Plans are used to help decide on planning applications and other planning related decisions. They are the local guide to what can be built where, shaping infrastructure investments and setting out the vision for development in the borough.
The changes under consideration include elements such as additional and deleted site allocations for housing and employment development, amendments to settlement boundaries and new policies, including:
- Reshaping of the settlement boundary in Millom, Egremont, Arlecdon and Rowrah, Drigg and Holmrook, Beckermet, Moor Row and Ennnerdale Bridge
- The removal of a draft housing allocation in Frizington
- The removal and addition of a draft housing allocation for potential development in Seascale and St Bees
- The addition of a policy for an Innovation Centre at the Leconfield Industrial Estate in Cleator Moor
- Changes also include new policies relating to climate change, health and air quality, amongst others.
The changes are being considered as the result of feedback from the consultation on the Preferred Options Draft which took place in September 2020, and the publication of a series of related evidence documents.
The five-week consultation launched today (Monday, September 13) gives residents and interested parties the opportunity to comment on the changes being considered, ahead of the planned six week consultation on the Local Plan Publication Draft in January 2022.
The draft consultation document that sets out the changes being considered can be viewed, and residents can respond, online at https://www.copeland.gov.uk/content/copeland-local-plan. The deadline for consultation responses is Sunday, October 17.
Further information about the consultation and how to get involved can be found at https://www.copeland.gov.uk/content/copeland-local-plan. Alternatively, please contact the Strategic Planning Team on 01946 598300 or by emailing email@example.com.