Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

We are currently preparing bids to the Future High Streets Fund (Whitehaven) and Towns Fund (Millom and Cleator Moor)

Find out more

FAQ A to Z listing


Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

(1) | A (1) | C (7) | D (18) | H (29) | I (6) | M (2) | S (1) | W (30)
FAQ Answer
My landlord wants me out of my house - what do I need to do now?

If your landlord wants you to move out of your house, you should start to look at your options to make sure you don’t become homeless. We can help you to do this – please contact us on 0845 0548600 to make an appointment. If you are in danger, for example if you are being threatened with violence, always dial 999.

There are certain things that your landlord is legally required to do if they want you to move out of your house.

These things will vary according to what type of tenancy agreement you have, however there are some things that nearly always count as a criminal offence:

  • changing the locks while you are out
  • threatening you or forcing you to leave
  • physically throwing you out
  • stopping you from getting into certain parts of your home
My partner is being violent or abusive towards me - what can I do?

Support for domestic violence victims in West Cumbria is available from the Freedom Project:

Helpline 07712117986

Women’s Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 2000 247 Freephone and 24 hour

Men’s Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 802 4040 Freephone, available Monday - Friday 10am-1pm and 2pm -5pm

If you are unable to occupy your home due to domestic violence or abuse we might be able to help you to find alternative accommodation. Alternatively we might be able to arrange to make your home safe so that you are able to remain living there.

In an emergency always phone 999.

To arrange an appointment to see the Housing Options team please contact us on 0845 054 8600.