Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

December 12 General Election

Find out more



Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

Your question Answer
Do I need approval to build an extension?

Yes, unless the extension is exempt, e.g. porch or conservatory. For more information please visit the planning portal website or contact us directly.

Which building work is controlled?

For Building Regulations purposes, the term "building work" means any of the following:

  • The erection or extension of a building.
  • An alteration to a building.
  • The provision, extension or alteration of a controlled service or fitting (drainage, boiler or other heated appliance, unvented hot water systems, mechanical ventilation systems), replacement windows and electrical work in dwellings
  • An alteration involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings (material alteration)
  • Work relating to a change of use of a building *
  • The insertion of insulation into a cavity wall; and
  • Underpinning of the foundations of a building

* A material change of use of a building or part. (* A change of use is where a building is now a dwelling, flat or hotel/boarding house, institution or public building, where previously it was not; or when an exempt building is converted to a use to which the Building Regulations apply; or there is a change in the number of dwellings in a building).

How do I renew my library book?

Copeland's library services are provided by Cumbria County Council.  To join a library near you and to use services such, online membership, book renewal, for library events, reading groups, children's services and research material visit: Cumbria County Council/Libraries (external link).

Where can I get tourist information about Copeland?

Online you have several options, see our 'enjoy Copeland section' or you may find one of these websites helpful:

There is also a tourist information facility within Lowes Court, Egremont and leaflets are available at the Beacon and from council offices.






What are the opening hours of the Millom tip?


You can find out opening times of Household Waste Recycling Centres here.

What are the opening hours for Frizington tip?

You can find out opening times of Household Waste Recycling Centres here.


What are the opening hours of Copeland Bowls and Sports Centre?

Monday to Friday 9.30am to 9.00pm

Saturday & Sunday 9.30am to 4.00pm

As this information is subject to change, please double check before making a special journey.

Contact Details

Whitehaven - Copeland Bowls & Sports Centre

Off Wyndham Street, Cleator Moor, Whitehaven, CA25 5AN

Telephone: 01946 815100


What are the opening hours of Whitehaven Pool?


You can see all the most up-to date information about Copeland Swimming Pools HERE.


How do I report suspected benefit fraud?


Please click here for additional information or to report suspected benefit fraud.