Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

December 12 General Election

Find out more



Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

Your question Answer
Have questions about your Home Group, Housing 21, Two Castles, Impact or other Housing Association house?

At the council we do not deal with everyday problems with housing association properties such as repairs – you need to phone your housing association.

The contact details for the main housing associations are:

  •  Home Group Housing Association: 0345 141 4663
  • Two Castles Housing Association: 01946 591848
  • Impact Housing Association: 0344 8736290

See also "Finding a housing association home in Copeland"

I own an empty property - what can I do about it?

The Empty Homes Agency provide advice on what to do if you own an empty property and you want to bring it back into use.

You will also need to notify the Council Tax section on 0194659 8600. Please also read the attached leaflet that has more information.

What will the council do about an empty property if I report it?

The council has an empty homes policy which sets out what action we are taking to tackle empty homes in the borough and to bring empty homes back into use.

When an empty property is reported to us we will address the empty property following the steps set out in the policy. If we don’t already know about the property, the first steps are likely to include assessing the condition of the property and trying to find the owner of the property.

How do I report an Empty Property?

You can report an empty property on this website on the Report an Empty Property page

You can also contact us on 01946 59 8600 to report the empty property.

How do I join the Copeland Landlord Forum?

Please contact the Housing team on 01946 598600. We will take your details and send you an invitation to the next Landlord Forum meeting. You can also check the date of future meetings on the events calendar.

Can I get a grant from the council to help repair my property?

We no longer provide grants to help people to repair their properties.

We do provide grants to adapt properties to help people with disabilities to stay in their own homes. These grants are called Disabled Facilities Grants and more information is available on the Disabled Facilities Grants page

If you are struggling to find the money for essential repairs, it might be worth getting advice on money matters, for example by visiting the Citizens Advice Bureau

How long will it take to get a housing association house?

The length of time it takes to be allocated a housing association property depends on several things, including the band you are in on the housing register, your circumstances and the number of suitable properties that become available in the area where you want to live.

How do I get a housing association house in Copeland?

To apply for a housing association house in Copeland you will need to register for Cumbria Choice, and apply for properties you are interested in. You can find information about Cumbria Choice and details about how to use it on their website.


What can I do if I am struggling to pay my rent or mortgage?

If you are struggling to pay your rent or mortgage, the sooner you start to get help the better. We might be able to help you to negotiate a payment plan with your lender or landlord to help you to stay in your home, and we have funding available to help cover emergencies and prevent homelessness.

To arrange an appointment with the housing options team please contact us on 0845 054 8600.

If you have money worries you can also contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau or try the Whitehaven, Egremont and District Credit Union.

My partner is being violent or abusive towards me - what can I do?

Support for domestic violence victims in West Cumbria is available from the Freedom Project:

Helpline 07712117986

Women’s Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 2000 247 Freephone and 24 hour

Men’s Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 802 4040 Freephone, available Monday - Friday 10am-1pm and 2pm -5pm

If you are unable to occupy your home due to domestic violence or abuse we might be able to help you to find alternative accommodation. Alternatively we might be able to arrange to make your home safe so that you are able to remain living there.

In an emergency always phone 999.

To arrange an appointment to see the Housing Options team please contact us on 0845 054 8600.