Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

December 12 General Election

Find out more



Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

Your question Answer
How do I create less waste?

By reducing the amount of waste we produce, we can protect the earth's natural resources for longer. Here are some handy tips to reduce your family's waste.

  • Buy products with less packaging, such as loose fruit and vegetables, rather than over packaged varieties, and choose products packaged in materials which are easier to recycle. In Copeland we can currently recycle cardboard and paper packaging, but not plastic film and food trays.
  • Buy in bulk, as this often reduces packaging, as well as cost.
  • Choose reusable items such as refillable pens, re-usable razors and "bags for life", rather than plastic carriers.
  • Use dishcloths instead of disposable wipes, and old clothes or other textiles as dusters.
  • Drink tap water rather than bottled water.
  • Try using re-usable nappies. There is currently a voucher scheme to help parents buy their first ones.  You can get details of the scheme by logging on to the Cumbria Real Nappy Campaign.
  • Save money and reduce waste by thinking about how much you need to buy at the supermarket, and making a list before you go. This can help you to make sure you don't buy too much, and end up having to throw food away because it has passed its use by date.
  • Store left over food and packed lunches in re-usable containers, instead of cling film or foil wrapping.
  • Use both sides of note paper, and whenever you can buy paper which is recycled.
  • You can reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by contacting the Mail Preference Service.  Their telephone number is 0845 703 4599, or alternatively write to: DMA House, 70 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS, and have your name removed from most mailing lists in the country.
  • Contact your favorite charities to see if they will recycle your old mobile phones and used printer ink cartridges.  Several charities now run such re-use and recycling schemes.
  • Use a home compost bin for your fruit, vegetable and garden waste, and use the compost on your garden, rather than having to buy peat based compost, which depletes natural resources.
  • Pass unwanted books, toys and clothes to friends and family, or give them to nurseries or charity shops.  Textiles can also be recycled at many of our recycling sites, if they cannot be re-used by people that you know.

    Booklets on how to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle are available Free of Charge by contacting the councils Helpline on 01946 598300, or write to our e-mail address at

  • Find out about our recycling sites here.
  • Visit the Recycling For Cumbria website for more information on recycling.
Who do I contact about sewerage issues?

Please report any problems with the sewer network to United Utilities on 0845 706 2200

United Utilities are the first point of contact about sewer problems. You will need to look after your own drains but once they connect with drains from another property they will be looked after by United Utilities. They maintain sewer pipes that are shared by more than one property or that run beyond your property boundary (apart from in a few cases where these sewers are privately owned). You can find out whether they look after your sewer on their sewers and drains explained page. .

Can I donate something to the Beacon's collection?

The museum collection includes over 30,000 artefacts which relate to Copeland’s history. Offers for donations are welcome and we are happy to discuss your item during opening times, or out of hours by appointment.

Please contact

The Beacon
West Strand,
CA28 7LY

Tel: 01946 592302


How do I get a bus pass?

If you want a bus pass you can apply for one from Cumbria County Council.  We no longer offer a concessionary travel scheme in Copeland. Call Cumbria county Council on 01228 60 60 60 or visit their website for more info.


How much does it cost to visit the Beacon?

Prices are as follows:

            Adults: £5.50

            Children (5-15 years): £2

            ConcessionS: £4

            Family ticket: £10

            Under 5s: free

All children must be accompanied by a paying adult.

Don't forget to look out for special "free weekends" throughout the year!

*Special summer family ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children) - for just £15 this gives an unlimited number of visits for 4 weeks from date of purchase. Available to purchase from 19th July to 31st August 2014. Tickets non-transferable. Valid ID must be shown on repeat visits*

How long does it take to look round the Beacon?

It depends how much you would like to see and do. You should allow an hour at the very least. Your ticket is valid all day, so you can come in and out as many times as you like. If you want to read all about the exhibits and use all the interactive features, you could easily spend most of the day at the museum - it really is up to you. With the fun spread over five floors there is plenty to keep children entertained.

Is there car parking near the Beacon?

Yes you can park close to the Beacon. See our car parking section for full details and a map.

What are the opening hours of the Beacon?

We are currently open 10am to 4.30pm every day.

For special events, activity sessions and guided tours, please call for details. 01946 592302.

I have a problem tenant - what can I do?

There is advice on what to do about problem tenants on the Direct Gov website.

Where can I find facts and figures about housing in Copeland?

There is information about housing in Copeland on the housing strategy page. The Copeland Strategic Housing Market Assessment contains a lot of information about housing and housing issues in the Copeland borough. There is also a copy of the Copeland private sector stock condition survey, which provides information about the condition of the housing stock in Copeland.