Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

December 12 General Election

Find out more

My landlord wants me out of my house - what do I need to do now?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

If your landlord wants you to move out of your house, you should start to look at your options to make sure you don’t become homeless. We can help you to do this – please contact us on 0845 0548600 to make an appointment. If you are in danger, for example if you are being threatened with violence, always dial 999.

There are certain things that your landlord is legally required to do if they want you to move out of your house.

These things will vary according to what type of tenancy agreement you have, however there are some things that nearly always count as a criminal offence:

  • changing the locks while you are out
  • threatening you or forcing you to leave
  • physically throwing you out
  • stopping you from getting into certain parts of your home
Published: 31 October 2012 - 9:56am

Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.