Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

December 12 General Election

Find out more

Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a small, detached building on my land?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

No, provided it contains no sleeping accommodation, is less than 30 square metres internal floor area, it is single storey and is either more than one metre from the boundary or is constructed of non-combustible materials. A detached greenhouse or shed usually falls within this class of building. However, any fixed electrical installations must meet the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations.

Published: 27 July 2012 - 8:01am

Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.