Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

We are currently preparing bids to the Future High Streets Fund (Whitehaven) and Towns Fund (Millom and Cleator Moor)

Find out more

FAQ A to Z listing


Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

(1) | A (1) | C (7) | D (18) | H (29) | I (6) | M (2) | S (1) | W (30)
FAQ Answer
Can I become a taxi driver?

To qualify you must:

  • Have held a full driving licence for 12 months prior to the date of application;
  • Complete a hackney carriage drivers licence application form;
  • Complete a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) application form (if applicable). This is required every 3 years and in the intervening years a self-certification form must be completed declaring that no further convictions have been obtained since the last CRB check;
  • Provide a medical certificate (required every 3 years unless otherwise stated) from his/her doctor, certifying that the applicant is fit to drive a private hire vehicle;
  • Provide a full current driving licence (both photo card and counterpart);
  • Provide 2 x passport size photographs of the applicant;
  • Provide a valid Passport (if applicable);
  • Provide your Birth Certificate ;
  • Provide your Marriage Certificate (if applicable);
  • Provide your National Insurance Number.
Can I donate something to the Beacon's collection?

The museum collection includes over 30,000 artefacts which relate to Copeland’s history. Offers for donations are welcome and we are happy to discuss your item during opening times, or out of hours by appointment.

Please contact

The Beacon
West Strand,
CA28 7LY

Tel: 01946 592302


Can I get a Building Regs form online?

Yes, please select the following link: Building Regulation Application Form. If you cannot find the form you are looking for, please contact us.

Can I get a grant from the council to help repair my property?

We no longer provide grants to help people to repair their properties.

We do provide grants to adapt properties to help people with disabilities to stay in their own homes. These grants are called Disabled Facilities Grants and more information is available on the Disabled Facilities Grants page

If you are struggling to find the money for essential repairs, it might be worth getting advice on money matters, for example by visiting the Citizens Advice Bureau

Can I take a van load to the tip?

Only if you have a permit. There is a permit scheme in operation at the recycling centre. This means that if you want to bring your household rubbish using a van or a twin axle trailer (up to 3 meters long) you will require a permit to do so.