The energy rebate
Council tax energy rebate
If you have received a letter asking you to claim the energy rebate online, click the green button above, marked 'Council tax energy rebate application.' Please input your details exactly as they appear on your letter.
A £150 energy rebate for households in bands A-D is part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs. People who pay little or no council tax (because they are entitled to a discount) are included in the scheme.
Those who pay council tax by Direct Debit received the money directly into their bank accounts. If you don’t pay be Direct Debit, you will have received a letter telling asking you to apply for the payment online. Just remember to input your details exactly as they appear on your letter, and make sure you click on ‘submit’ and not ‘save’ on the final page.
If you have not yet applied, or if we have asked you for further information and you have not yet supplied it, please do so by August 31. After this point, the money will be credited to your council tax account.
Most people have by now either received their payment, or a letter explaining how to access it. We’ve already paid out around £4m to our residents.
Once your online claim is received, the government requires us to complete a pre-payment check. Once that is complete, you will receive the £150 into your account. If not, check your emails – you’ll get one automatically if there’s an error in the application.
Going online is the quickest way to access the payment, but you can also call us on 01946 598300, selecting the option for council tax, if you need help.
If you need more help, you can make an appointment to visit our Market Hall offices and talk to our team. You can also email us at email@example.com.
If you are unsure of your council tax band, you can find it here: Dashboard (copeland.gov.uk)
You must still pay your council tax bill - we are just using the council tax system to administer the payments.
We will not call you to request your bank details to pay the energy rebate. If we hold your bank details, the payment will be made into your bank account. If not, we'll send a letter telling you how to access the payment. Do not under any circumstances give your bank details to anyone who calls you regarding the energy rebate.
Council Tax energy rebate - discretionary scheme
If you are not in bands A-D but still need help, there will be some discretionary funding available to help households who do not qualify for the main scheme. The software for the discretionary scheme is currently being tested and we will publish more information as soon as it is ready.
In the meantime, you can see our criteria below:
- £150 for council tax payers whose sole or main residence was a band E-H property on April 1,2022, and who are in receipt of a (means tested) Council Tax Reduction at the property. This does not include single person discount as that is not a means tested reduction.
- Council tax payers whose sole or main residence was a band A-B property on April 1, 2022, and are in receipt of a (means tested) Council Tax Reduction at the property. This does not include single person discount as that is not a means tested discount. This top-up payment is in addition to the original £150 made under the core scheme for bands A-D. The top up amount is to be confirmed.
- £150 for council tax payers whose sole or main residence was a band E-H property on April 1, 2022, and who have a physical or mental impairment that is substantial and long term - for example, those in receipt of a council tax discount due to a severe mental impairment or a disability.
Individual applications will also be considered from the following:
- Council tax payers who have been excluded from the core scheme (due to not being liable for council tax) and where responsibility for council tax falls with, for example, a housing provider, charity or non-resident owner and the residents are directly responsible for energy costs. Evidence of occupation and direct payment of energy costs will need to be provided in support of the application. Only one £150 payment will be made per chargeable dwelling - to the person responsible for the energy bills.
- Council tax payers who do not qualify for either the core scheme or the discretionary scheme, and who can show they are in financial hardship.
We will update this page when we receive further information, and when payments begin.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail)