Second Adult Rebate

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Information about Second Adult Rebate, an alternative to Council Tax Reduction which can be claimed by people who have other adults on low incomes living with them.

If you are the only person who is liable to pay the Council Tax on your home but you share your home with one or more persons who are over the age of 18 and they:

  • are not paying you rent for living in your home
  • do not have to pay the Council Tax
  • are not your spouse or partner
  • Have a low gross income.

You can claim Second Adult Rebate in respect of them.

In order to do this you will need to complete and return a claim form together with documentary proof showing the gross income details of all other adults who live with you.

You do not have to supply us with details of your own income and/or savings, however, if you do, we will also do a calculation to see if you are entitled to main Council Tax Reduction based on your details.

Once the calculations for main Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate have been made we will compare the reduction (if any) and award you the greater entitlement (please note that you are not entitled to receive both).

Second Adult Rebate is calculated using the combined gross income of all the second adults living in the property.  It is awarded on a percentage basis of your Council Tax Bill.

Any Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance will be ignored when we work out the second adult’s income.

If you qualify for Second Adult Rebate your Council Tax bill will be reduced by 25%, 15% or 7.5% depending on the second adult’s income.

Please note that if their income is too high you will not qualify for Second Adult Rebate but you may still qualify for Council Tax Reduction.


Published: 6 July 2012 - 10:34am