Other relief for business rates

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Your business rates can be reduced if you qualify for Hardship Relief or have a rural business.

Hardship Relief

Councils may grant relief to a ratepayer who would suffer hardship by paying the whole of the rates bill. The Government only reimburses the council with 75% of the relief granted in these circumstances, so a quarter of the cost falls directly on council tax payers. For this reason, we will usually only grant this relief where it is evident that it is in the interests of the community.

How to apply

A written request must be made enclosing information about the number of people employed.  The following should also be included

  • copies of the last 3 years audited accounts;
  • a cash flow statement;
  • a business plan showing long term profitability.

Your application will be considered by the Executive Committee and you will be advised in writing of their decision, and of the amount of relief to be granted if successful.

Rate relief for businesses in rural areas

A rural settlement is defined as a settlement with a population of no more than 3,000 that is wholly or partly within a council's area.  A rural settlement need not necessarily be identified as a village, hamlet, or small town. Certain properties in rural areas can receive help with their business rates.

Who can receive rural rate relief

We can give 50% relief to the following types of business that are situated in a rural settlement:

  • Post office - where it is the only post office in the settlement and has a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
  • General store - where it is the only general store in the settlement and has a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
  • All food stores - Where they have a rateable value of £8,500 or less
  • Public house - where it is the only public house in the settlement and has a rateable value of £12,500 or less
  • Petrol filling station - where it is the only petrol filling station in the settlement and has a rateable value of £12,500 or less

We also have the discretion to allow up to 100% relief to any non-domestic property in a rural settlement with a rateable value of £16,500 or less (including the extra 50% for those that fall in the above category).

We can only use our discretion to allow such relief if we are satisfied that the property is used for a purpose that benefits the local community.

To apply please contact the business rates section in writing giving full details of the nature of your business.  Our visiting officer will inspect your premises to verify your eligibility before relief is awarded.

Published: 23 May 2012 - 9:58am