Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

We are currently preparing bids to the Future High Streets Fund (Whitehaven) and Towns Fund (Millom and Cleator Moor)

Find out more

How to claim housing and/or council tax reduction

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

You can use the same form to claim both housing and council tax reduction.

You need to fill in a claim form to get housing benefit and/or apply for the council tax reduction scheme. Please note if you are Working Age, not currently claiming Housing Benefit and do not live in supported accommodation, you will need to claim Universal Credit to get help with your housing costs. If you are currently claiming Employment and Support Allowance that includes the severe disability premium, please contact us as you may still be able to claim Housing Benefit.

If you live with a partner you should make one claim for both of you. If one of you is a student then the non-student should fill in the claim form putting the student down as the partner.

Our application form and full supporting evidence should be returned without delay or it could affect the date that the benefit starts. The application form states which documents we require to process a claim. These documents must be the originals as we cannot accept photocopies. If you cannot provide evidence straightaway you should send in the form and submit the evidence later.

You can make a claim online at Alternatively, you can ask us to send you a claim form, call into one of our offices, or print a claim form and send it to us. 

To request an application form, please call us on 01946 598 300 or email us at

You can get help filling in the claim form at the offices in the Market Hall, Whitehaven and the Millom Council Centre in Millom, please complete as much of the form as you can before bringing it in.

If you are making a claim for Universal Credit, you can claim housing costs at . If you want to claim Council Tax Reduction you will need to contact us on 01946 598 300.

You can get help from other organisations such as the Citizen's Advice.


Published: 5 July 2012 - 3:43pm