Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

December 12 General Election

Find out more

Hackney carriage drivers

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Section 59 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 states that a council, before granting a hackney carriage driver's licence must be satisfied that an applicant is a fit and proper person to hold such a licence and that the applicant has for at least 12 months prior to the date of the application, been authorised to drive a motor car (that is, held a full driver's licence for that period).

We take into account two matters in deciding whether a person is a fit and proper person to hold a licence. Firstly we consider an applicant's previous convictions. The Council has guidelines for deciding what weight should be given to those convictions. Details of convictions will be obtained from the Criminal Records Bureau. Secondly, we will consider an applicant's medical history and ensure that the applicant is medically fit to drive a hackney carriage vehicle. Details of such history will be obtained from the applicant's doctor.

A licence, if granted, is usually issued for 12 months and to qualify an applicant must:

  • Have held a full driving licence for 12 months prior to the date of application;
  • Complete a hackney carriage drivers licence application form;
  • Complete a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) application form (if applicable). This is required every 3 years and in the intervening years a self-certification form must be completed declaring that no further convictions have been obtained since the last CRB check;
  • Provide a medical certificate (required every 3 years unless otherwise stated) from his/her doctor, certifying that the applicant is fit to drive a hackney carriage vehicle;
  • Provide a full current driving licence (both photo card and counterpart);
  • Provide 2 x passport size photographs of the applicant;
  • Provide a valid Passport (if applicable);
  • Provide your Birth Certificate ;
  • Provide your Marriage Certificate (if applicable);
  • Provide your National Insurance Number.

 *Please note that the CRB application forms are only available from the Council Offices.

Published: 25 October 2012 - 2:11pm