Animal boarding establishment licence

Speaker iconQuestion icon

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Explanation of when a licence is required.

Anyone who runs a business boarding cats and/or dogs must obtain a licence from us. This also applies if you look after other people's pets in your own home (home boarding or 'day care'). Looking after a friend's pets while they are away does not count.

If you are not yet in business, you will need to contact our planning department before opening your business.

The  Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963 defines the keeping of a boarding establishment for animals as the carrying on at premises of any nature (including a private dwelling) of a business or providing accommodation for other people's animals. The term 'Animals' means any dog or cat.


Published: 25 April 2012 - 10:26am