Open mobile menu
Close mobile menu

December 12 General Election

Find out more

16 or younger and facing homelessness?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Advice and help for young people facing homelessness or having problems with housing.

If you are under 16 years old…

If you are under 16 and you are having serious problems at home, you should contact the Children’s Services department at Cumbria County Council.

You can get in touch with them by telephoning:   01900 706325

If you are 16 or 17….

Almost all 16 and 17 year olds are judged to be in ‘priority need’ when it comes to housing. This means the council can help find you somewhere to live.

The exceptions are:

  • if you have lived abroad and you are not a British citizen
  • if you have spent at least 13 weeks in care since the age of 14
  •  if you are classed as a ‘child in need’

If any of these apply to you, then Cumbria County Council will deal with your case.

Childrens’ Services will check your situation to see if there’s any way you can return home, or go and live with another relative. They will not make you go anywhere that is unsafe.

Published: 23 July 2012 - 11:40am