Buildings and structures
Notification of a rear extension
This form can be used by a household to notify us of the intention to use the permitted development rightsto build a single-storey rear extension of greater than four metres up to eight metres for a detached house and greater than three metres up to six metres for any other type of house outside Article 1(5) land* and sites of special scientific interest.
Guidance on prior approval for extensions
This guidance note only applies to the temporary permitted development arrangements introduced in May 2013 for single storey extensions to the rear of a house.
Form to notify us that an extension is complete
Form to use to notify us that you have completed a single storey rear extension. Please return the form to
Copeland Borough Council
Whitehaven CA28 7SJ
- Do I need planning permission for stables?
Information on all aspects of planning including when you need planning permission and how to get it.
Planning enforcement manual
Detailed information on what constitutes a breach of planning rules and what action we can take.
Major development proposals
Major development proposals are often complex and raise a number of issues. We strongly encourage all developers to enter into early discussions on major proposals.
Do I need planning permission? (Householder)
Some alterations to your home may not require planning permission and could be carried out as a permitted development, if they satisfy certain limits and conditions. These may include the following:-
- Dormers/roof alterations
- Hard surfaces/decking
Application form to demolish something
Form to submit if you are seeking permission to demolish something.
Lawful development certificate
You can obtain formal confirmation that your proposed works are a permitted development by applying for a Lawful Development Certificate. This is not the same as planning permission but provides proof that your household building work is lawful, This type of application costs £86.
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a detached garage?
- If you do not check plans on Building Notice applications, why are the charges the same as for Full Plans Applications?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a carport?
- If I make a Building Notice application, will the Building Control Officer tell me how to carry out the work during his first visit?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a porch?
- Is a building regulation completion certificate the same as a guarantee or warranty?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a conservatory?
- What if I encounter problems during the construction process?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a small, detached building on my land?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to convert my house into flats?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to underpin my house?