Which building work is controlled?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

For Building Regulations purposes, the term "building work" means any of the following:

  • The erection or extension of a building.
  • An alteration to a building.
  • The provision, extension or alteration of a controlled service or fitting (drainage, boiler or other heated appliance, unvented hot water systems, mechanical ventilation systems), replacement windows and electrical work in dwellings
  • An alteration involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings (material alteration)
  • Work relating to a change of use of a building *
  • The insertion of insulation into a cavity wall; and
  • Underpinning of the foundations of a building

* A material change of use of a building or part. (* A change of use is where a building is now a dwelling, flat or hotel/boarding house, institution or public building, where previously it was not; or when an exempt building is converted to a use to which the Building Regulations apply; or there is a change in the number of dwellings in a building).

Published: 26 July 2012 - 10:41am

Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.