If you have difficulties in accessing your home or using its facilities, a Disabled Facilities Grant may be able to help you meet the costs of adapting your home so it meets your needs.
The grant can help you remain as independent as possible by making changes to your home so it is safer and easier for you to live there.
The types of adaptations that may be eligible for a grant include:
- widening doors and putting in ramps for wheelchairs;
- providing or improving access to rooms and using facilities; for example, stair lifts or a level access shower;
- making your home safer for you and anyone who may care for you;
- adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use;
- altering your home so you can move around it without difficulty; and
- improving the entrances to your home and providing access to your garden.
To get a grant you will first need to see an occupational therapist who will assess your needs and recommend the type of adaptation(s) needed.