What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

If you have difficulties in accessing your home or using its facilities, a Disabled Facilities Grant may be able to help you meet the costs of adapting your home so it meets your needs.

 The grant can help you remain as independent as possible by making changes to your home so it is safer and easier for you to live there.

 The types of adaptations that may be eligible for a grant include:

  • widening doors and putting in ramps for wheelchairs;
  • providing or improving access to rooms and using facilities; for example, stair lifts or a level access shower;
  • making your home safer for you and anyone who may care for you;
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use;
  • altering your home so you can move around it without difficulty; and
  • improving the entrances to your home and providing access to your garden.

To get a grant you will first need to see an occupational therapist who will assess your needs and recommend the type of adaptation(s) needed.

Published: 31 October 2012 - 10:26am

Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.