Copeland has a succesful tradition of self build developments in the borough.
Copeland Borough Council as a local planning authority (LPA) is responsible for keeping a Local Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Register to maintain a list of people and groups interested in building their own homes.
Self and Custom build have been defined as:
- Self-build - projects where individuals or groups directly organise the design and construction of their new home(s)
- Custom build – project where individuals or groups work with a specialist developer to help deliver their new home(s)
How to Register:
Applicants can register as an individual wanting to build their own home on a single plot or as an association (a group of individuals wanting to build together). Each individual or member of an association of individuals that applies for entry must be:
- aged 18 or older;
- a British citizen, a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
- seeking (alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in Copeland to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.
Individuals who wish to come together and register as an association must appoint a member or officer to act as the lead contact for the purposes of correspondence.
If you are part of a couple or other household group that wants to register for a single plot, please complete the ‘individual’ application. If you are representing a self build group and would like to make an application on behalf of the group, please complete the ‘association’ application.
If you would like to apply to be entered on the register, please fill out the Application form below:
The Council will determine and inform applicants of the result of their applications within 28 days of receiving their application.
The register is available to view below:
For Further Information:
- Contact: Planning Policy
- Address: The Copeland Centre, Catherine Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7SJ
- Telephone: 01946 598400
- Email: email@example.com