What is Cumbria Choice - Choice-Based Lettings? If you want to apply for a housing association property in Copeland, you need to register with the Cumbria Choice system. Cumbria Choice is a system that lets you look for a housing association home in Cumbria, and apply for one that you want.
With the new Cumbria Choice system, it is up to you to choose which properties you might like to live in. You have to look at the list of properties that are available and apply for any properties you might like to live in. It is likely that other people will probably apply for the same property as you, so the system will sort out who should be offered the property. It will do this by matching people up to the property, for example it will probably match up a person who lives by themselves with a property with one bedroom.
However, if you think you are going to find it difficult to look for a property yourself and would like someone to help you, you can ask for a housing association to apply for suitable properties on your behalf.
What do I need to do to apply for a housing association property?
First you need to register on the Cumbria Choice system. There are three ways you can do this:
1. You can phone a housing association. The housing association telephone numbers are:
- Home Group Housing Association: 0345 141 4663
- Two Castles Housing Association: 01946 591848
- Impact Housing Association: 0344 8736290
2. You can go to the housing association offices. A list of the office addresses is shown at the bottom of this page.
3. You can register at the Cumbria Choice website www.cumbriachoice.org.uk
After you have registered you will receive a letter with your registration number and your registration date. The letter will also tell you which band you have been put in.
Everyone who registers on the system is put in a group called a band, which is used to sort everyone according to how high their housing need is. When you apply for a property, the system uses the bands to sort everyone who applies for it into order of priority. In order to decide who will be offered a property, the system takes into account your band, your local connection and the date your registration became effective, which means the date when you were first able to apply for properties on the system.
When you have received your registration number and your band, you can then look for properties to apply for. You can look for a property by:
- Browsing through the properties shown on the Cumbria Choice website .
- Looking at the list of properties that is published every week. You can pick up a copy of this list at the housing association offices and at the Council offices in Whitehaven and Millom.
- Phoning the Cumbria Choice telephone number on 0300 011 2160 and listening to recorded details of the properties available.
When you have found a property you would like to apply for, you can do this by:
- Applying for it on the Cumbria Choice website at www.cumbriachoice.org.uk
- Applying for it on the Cumbria Choice telephone number, which is: 0300 011 2160
- Applying for it in person at a housing association office
- Sending a text message to: 07537 402596.
You can apply for properties that you like all week, up until midnight on Tuesday. This is when the applications close, and all the applications for each property are sorted into priority order.
If you are going to be offered a property you have applied for, a housing association will contact you as soon as possible. If you are not offered a property, you will be able to find out why not. You will be able to do this on the Cumbria Choice website or by speaking to one of the housing associations.
The housing association addresses and telephone numbers are:Home Group Housing Association:Catherine Street, Whitehaven, CA28 7SJTelephone number: 0345 141 4663 Two Castles Housing Association:Catherine Mill, Catherine Street, Whitehaven CA28 7QTTelephone number: 01946 591848 Impact Housing Association:Nook Street, WorkingtonTelephone number: 0344 8736290