The Coastal Community Network is made up of coastal community groups in Copeland who have a shared interest in:
- facilitating communication and co-operation within and between the coastal community groups
- encouraging the sustainable management among those with an interest in, or impact on, Copeland’s coast
- conserving, enhancing and managing the nature conservation interest of the coastal area
Areas of common interest to the network include:
- Marine litter
- Enforcement issues e.g. dog fouling
- Community events e.g. beach cleans
- Coastal code of conduct
- Common coastal practices
The network receives administrative support through Copeland’s Coastal Initiative.
Marine Litter Campaign
The Coastal Community Network agreed that more could be done to address the issue of marine litter. Three areas of activity were identified to take forward - beach cleaning, data collection and awareness raising.
These continue to be organised by local groups. Please let us know of your beach cleans so that we can publicise them.
If you would like to borrow some beach cleaning equipment and make arrangements for the waste to be collected, please contact Waste Services at Copeland Borough Council on 0845 054 8600.
Collecting data will be reliant on volunteers but we hope to get support for analysing the data which will help us develop the information campaign.
With more information as to the origin of the litter, we can develop a targeted campaign.