We have now submitted our stage 2 bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of a Townscape Heritage Initiative which will be focused on the oldest parts of Whitehaven.
The bid aims:
- to bring historic buildings back into appropriate and sustainable use to attract businesses and residents into the town centre increasing the economic vitality of the area.
- reconnect the Old Town to the core of the town centre, strengthening the connection of Albion Square and the harbour with the commercial core and increasing footfall into this marginal area of the town
- improve both quality and availability of town centre business premises
- increase heritage skills levels amongst the local building sector and improve approaches to conservation management and maintenance
- provide a distinctive heritage visitor offer by preserving and enhancing the character and appearance of the THI area
We have been consistent in our approach to maintaining the conservation of Whitehaven's built heritage. This application will complement existing developments including the Albion Square office development, the Town Teams' plans, improvements to Whitehaven market and market hall, the Beacon partnership, Whitehaven Marina improvements and regeneration development plans across the town.